Gemeente Toerisme Houthalen-Helchteren

Ter Dolen / De Dool water castle

Eikendreef, Helchteren 13th century and subsequent

In the Middle Ages the castle was a country residence and a reinforced haven for the abbots of Sint-Truiden.

In the 16th century, it was extended and fortified with towers and ditches and between 1780 and 1784 the castle was converted into a classic u-shaped country house. Of the castle's four original corner towers the two northern towers have been preserved. 

The adjacent hamlet with appurtenances (probably from the 14th century) was converted into a hyper-modern brewery with associated café in 1994.

A particularity:

The area surrounding the castle has been listed as a protected village since 30 June 1982.

The entire estate is under private ownership.

Share this page