Gemeente Toerisme Houthalen-Helchteren

Castle Engelhof

Hengelhoefdreef, Houthalen-Oost

In 1140, countess Ermesindis of Namur gifted the Hengelhoef estate to the Floreffe orbertine Abbey.

It was later to contain 120 ha of woods, moorland, ponds and agricultural land, which after 1794 came into private ownership.

The 'Engelhof' castle was built following a fire in 1903 by the Vieusart-Wittouck family, whose coat of arms can also be seen on the monumental entrance gate of the adjacent farm.

The castle is owned by Christelijke Mutualiteiten.

Share this page